Finding It-666: the Beast
The ex-wife of Walter Workmaster is the human and younger sister of the incarnated Gabriel Purallee and the mother of the incarnated Michael. In Angelic terms, she is a very special person chosen to carry one or more Angels back to their incarnated form. Did she knew about it? She had no clue at all. She had no conception that her son, brother and uncle are Archangels until she stumbles upon an Angelic meeting led by Raphael at his AA club in the middle of the night. Like her husband, humans have no ideas that Angels are walking among them and looking after them and Earth. It is a secret which is revealed to her as her uncle facing the hard choice of either erasing the memory of her niece or letting that human know about the presence of Angels in the world, chose the latter risk. Brain washing Caroline is out of the question for him, purely and simply because the Archangel has a soft spot for the human he helped raising but he also has respect for her original individuality, which reminds him of his own self.
When the human parents of Gabriel and Caroline passed away in a car crash, Raphael took them on. Gabriel was fourteen while Caro was just under ten. If the little girl hardly spoke of her childhood, or parents, Gabriel mourns in complete silence in his bedroom for days on end. Their uncle reacted to their loss by providing for them to the brim. He spoilt them. With an army of bodyguards newly appointed nannies to attend to his niece and nephew, Raphael lavished on them. One reason was that the Archangel did not allow himself to have children of his own. More than a niece, he considers Caroline has a daughter, a human he loves watching over or after from afar or close.
Spoilt brat Caroline in his home, took an unusual turn for the better or the worst. She resented having been decorated like a doll by her mother, been put on a mantle piece with the order to stay put and pretty. Caroline, in Raphael’s large clubs, apartments where one can get lost, breaths again. She is rapidly her boisterous self which escapes her appointed ‘nannies’ with an alarming regularity to just enjoy herself. The rejection of her early years, as a child totally dependant on others will, which wanted her to only sit pretty and silent, had all her wishes being fulfilled in Raphael’s guardianship. He freed her personality and let her express herself. She went all tomboy at his at first, wearing dungarees and shirts, with her hair cut short. It then developed into a daring do teenage-hood which Raphael remembers with some fondness: Expect the unexpected and you will have a Caroline standing at the end of it.
Watching over a very human Caroline was like watching over the world for the Archangel, he didn’t know where it will end, where he will have to pick her up next, from a drunken spree in Glastonbury or a police station for taking part in an illegal race car rally with no licence whatsoever and winning it.
Only Gabriel bestowed that calming influence on his sister, only he was daring enough to tell her right off. The growing Gabriel saw Caroline as being too indulged like a danger will happen to her. His good old advice did not blame her for one bit, he just encourage her to make something of herself. He understood the big display she made during her teenage years and where it came from. He channelled her energies to help her concentrate on being her true self, not the negative of someone else wishes upon her. He managed to get her to some sort of studying mode making sure she would go to university.
Wild Caroline met Walter Workmaster at university. He was a charismatic law student who led the others and challenged the old establishment wherever it failed to address current issues. She had had a string of boyfriends prior to him but none quite met what she was after and she split with them very rapidly. She never presented anyone to her fearsome uncle, although he was aware of every single one of them because of his appointed nanny/bodyguards following Caro everywhere. However by then, Caroline, disliking too much scrutiny which prevented the potential for her to be naughty, had developed to an art form ways of escaping their attention and escaping. When his niece finally presented him one of her conquests, Raphael just knew that Caroline was very serious with that particular one. Despite disliking Walter Workmaster who was not afraid to contradict him on any point at first sight, Raphael could only admit that the young man, however humble his backgrounds were, had a positive influence on his niece. Not only was she following the student in his fight for human rights wherever it took him, she was following his advice on many thing such as stopping using recreational drug.
Experimental Caroline cleaned up her act overnight for the blue eyes of Workmaster. He was her perfect match, the man that could captivate her attention for hours on end without boring the life out of her. With Walter she didn’t know what to expect: taking a train to protest by the white house or revising for her exams while he wrote articles fighting for human rights over a picnic sitting on the grass. If her uncle didn’t seem too keen on Walter, all too serious Gabriel befriended the young man. She had no idea that her brother was in fact appointed by her very Archangelic uncle to do so.
Caroline is a bright and vivacious character. She has energy in abundance. Like Walter, she is headstrong and it is hard to stop her if she has decided to fight for something. No one could stop her marrying Workmaster, even if his fortune did not match hers.
The marriage to Walter was an happy one. However her bubble burst dramatically when she saw him break down in front of her eyes. The horrendous death of Wendy devastated the man to a point close to insanity. Caroline felt totally out of her depth and unable to control the situation. Reaching out to Walter was impossible and she saw him almost slipping away from her life as he tried to take his. The prompt intervention of Gabriel rescued the man. But it was a breaking point for the young couple.
Caroline took the tough decision to split from Walter in order to protect her son from seeing his father like that. This made the matter worst rather than better. But the upset Caro is a character that will take clear cut choices without thinking of the consequences or the hurt she may cause. She will engage in a large scale tit for tat. If Workmaster did not consider her and her son in his grief and intention to kill himself, she will hold that grudge against him and just walk off instead of being comprehensive. For her offended, saddened and frightened self, her heart could have screamed to her husband: how dare you wanting to leave us like that. You are ready to depart, me too, watch me and my son walk out of this door.
However Caroline is a character far from proud to have taken that bold step away from broken down Walter. She is laden with regrets. Despite having stepped aside, she keeps tabs upon the welfare of Workmaster. She is desperately worried for him and gets involved with his recovery by making sure the man understands that he will always be able to see his son and keep in contact with him.
At the start of the saga we meet a couple with a past. They are separated but put them in a room together and they have that affection for each other that just transpires from them in millions of subtle ways. Caroline would probably indulge in teasing the downtrodden Walter, but she will also be protective of him verbally.
Caroline has put a stamp on that man for the better or the worse: he maybe an ‘arsehole’ sometimes (the other nickname she has for her Blondie Bear) but he is ‘her arsehole’, the only one allowed to get on her tits in a big way. Forgive my language, this is to give you the feel of plain and straight talking Caro, tomboy at heart that will not take any shit lightly.
I have not many female characters in this saga, however whenever you meet one she will be fighting her own corner. The birth of Caroline in my head was like having a hand full of cards, with the difficult choice to do to chose which one would I lay on the table that can match or just meet Walter Workmaster on a certain level. In the game of cards theme, ‘Caro’ is ‘carreau’ in French: the diamond. She is Walter’s queen of hearts and the treasure of her uncle. Her first name is influenced by MC Solar’s song ‘Caroline’. I had to create my Caroline.
She is a tough cookie girl that can take a right bite and make you crumble. As for visualisation she parades in my mind as a look a like Halle Berry with short hair. No wonder Walter fell for her, she is a stunner.
Let’s meet Caro in quotes:
-Caro, it’s me. The exasperated voice stated,
-I know it’s you, Walter, there’s only one arsehole that can possibly wake me up in the middle of the night! Twelve fifteen, are you drunk out of your mind again?
His lips grinned slightly as he tried to smooth the temper of his ex-wife,
-Caroline, it’s an emergency. I need you at your clinic Asap.
The voice snapped,
-Go to the ER! I haven’t the Au-pair girl tonight. I can’t leave Micky on his own. As you are still talking, I am sure you will survive.
-It’s not for me, Caro. Hunting trip gone bad. ER is a no go. DIY job required, non-disclosure. Take Micky with you.
-I will be there in half an hour. What can I expect?
Walter smiled knowingly, the caring Caroline was now on the line, listening attentively. Somehow he knew he could always count on her.
(verse 3: Calling Earth.)
Caroline pushed her plate in front of her, and looked in desperation at the three men. Then, with almost begging eyes, she pleaded her case directly to Azryel Mortimer, and Raphael, -I only said the truth as I lived it at my door. You can’t frighten people the way that you do without consequences. I am a weak fucking woman and I fucking fainted. And if I had my normal day, my normal night, a smaller shift, less adrenaline, fear and anxiety, a little more food earlier, I would have been my stronger self who would have shown you my two fingers in a rude fashion. Correct me if you will for being honest but what would be the purpose? Teaching me to lie, and be nice when I feel that I am being stepped on, and trampled upon regardless of any feelings I may harbour. You can’t possibly put the constant threat of torture upon my mind, and expect me to say great, I am very happy about that my dear uncle, let’s get on with it! You must be joking. That’s wrong! Honestly, how do you want me not to speak my mind about it at some point?
(verse 22: Eat It All.)
Caroline pulled her legs back against her, feeling a little insecure, and swore, -Blimey! I wish I was not so asthmatic right now, I would ask for a cigarillo and join you in a seen it all, cynical smoke. I am speaking to Death at what, four in the morning, about Angels, Archangels, demons and carriers. Let alone seeing an Antichrist yesterday, at about the same time, and I can only swear like my Walt, in his usual way, ‘that’s a fucked up bloody mess, baby, but don’t worry, we will work it out, eventually.
(verse 23: The Angelic Anonymous Apostasy.)
The Compendium of Characters
- Book Dedication
- This comprehensive nomenclature will be ordered by the chronology of the published books and within it by the alphabetical order of the characters. Following the ‘Who’s Who’ of characters, you will find a ‘What’s what’ section, a list of created or combined words with their meanings. There are a fair few occasions where I applied this poetic license to fit closely to the heartbeat of the story or a particular individual within it. The last sections are the peep-holes to the future publications relating to those stories, spin-offs, prequels or next instalments to look forward to. It will offer the tangible glimpse of what is coming next or what happened before.
- Published the 21st of October 2014, this short story was born like many of my stories within the midst of a nightmare. I remember still vividly hearing some chilling noises, some eerie music, sad laughter, stuck in the darkness of a long box. I pushed the door open to realise that I was in my coffin. A cowardly glance outside revealed a hilly cemetery, a moonlight night and other corpses rising from their graves, some dragging others to do so. I was freaked enough at the sight to lay back in the safe darkness, thinking that it must be a bad dream and that it will all pass. But someone saw me, someone recognised me, called my name out loud and opened my coffin lid wide open. In front of that half decomposed cadaver, my heart seemed to fail to beat any longer. I closed my eyes of fright and I woke up in my bed safe and well. I was not exposed in a coffin, exhibited to other dead people, I was in my bedroom with for only witness, my black cat Mystic blinking her yellow eyes at me peacefully from the other pillow.
- It-666’s story can not be told in one sentence not even in one book. It has a fateful spin to it which will last for as long as it is meant to last. It is determined.
- The ex-wife of Walter Workmaster is the human and younger sister of the incarnated Gabriel Purallee and the mother of the incarnated Michael. In Angelic terms, she is a very special person chosen to carry one or more Angels back to their incarnated form. Did she knew about it? She had no clue at all. She had no conception that her son, brother and uncle are Archangels until she stumbles upon an Angelic meeting led by Raphael at his AA club in the middle of the night.
- We meet ‘It’ at the start of the saga, aged 16, in an appalling state. Kept in a cage, starved, tortured, left in her own mess, the teenager has only one wish, the one of dying. Representing all we fear, the incarnated Beast, is a young distressed Being. She had far from the most enjoyable start in life.
- Gabriel plays a very important character in the saga. We meet him in the first book as incarnated Doctor Gabriel Purallee. Strangely enough that ambivalent Angel is the one that all turns to for some sort of stability. His clinic and his house serve as a refuge, the safe haven where one can hide to stay alive.
- We meet Michael, age eight, called Micky by all. This important Archangel has only recently incarnated once more and his human childhood makes him be temporally at a vulnerable stage. However he was given parents of choice in Walter and Caroline. Both are nurturing and loving him to bits. Like the Beast, this character is at an early stage at the start of the saga. Unlike her, he was provided with a loving childhood, which makes him a very happy, bouncy kid Being. He has bags of tenderness for everyone which he wears on his sleeve. From his currant human parents, he gathers that loving understanding and open minded acceptance. Faced with a brand new member of the family, called the Beast, and not being an only child anymore, he just takes her hand and shows her what it is to enjoy a bit of childhood. His heart adopts It-666 almost like his father, without question.
- Wrath is a character which tells you how it is in his standards and will force you to them by any mean, without almost any regards for who you are. Raphael has a physical presence that can make you quiver and he knows it. He plays with it shamelessly like a cat on a mouse chase. He can make it as sweet or cruel for you depending on his plans, schemes and temper. Wrath is renown to have a very short temper, trying him is definitely a bad idea. He comes with strings attached. He is full of them. Worse, he is the leader of them: anyone he pulls can spell your doom or your blessing momentarily. Raphael as a puppet master could be all good if his mind would not switch in a nanosecond to an entire other direction. Raphael is frighteningly so impulsive yet it is also his main skill, quick thinking, acting fast, he kills anything in the bud before it can fester away.
- If Wrath was daunting enough, his henchman is even more unsettling. What can I say to bring justice to Azryel’s character? I absolutely adore writing him. Azryel Mortimer is a character which grew a life from my pages and into my own heart. If there was a fan T shirt, black with a big red heart in the middle saying: ‘I love Az’, I would wear it proudly with no shame at all. It is odd for an author to say that they are the first ‘groupie’ of their created characters but I can only admit that I am for this one.
- From all of Raphael’s Angels, Asha is one with a very kind heart and the patience of a true Angel. He will take the time to explain things to the lay human without being ordered to do so. He will offer his shoulders without being asked. Known as the ‘Philosopher’, he has a calm, poised and understanding attitude about him.
- We meet the character of Liz Arczy briefly in the first book. She then develops slowly but surely throughout the saga to a certain potency and consequence. Receptionist at the clinic of Gabriel, the red head human picked the interest by her quirky personality.
- What can I say about that character? That you will never be able to quite grasp The Tutor even with your best intentions and most clever brain cells fully switched on. Elusive yet fully on, it is a whimsical idea of God, a pure allegory.
- Nun Tess was the tough catholic sister who abducted the Beast at her birth on the 6th of June 1996 with Father Williamson. She is the one that took charge of her care up until It-666 was five years old. On the fifth birthday of the Beast, she was killed ruthlessly before her by men paid to abduct the child.
- Father Williamson is one instrumental character which changed fate by a simple trick up his sleeve: a curse. To be honest I do not let any readers know much about him at any stage in the saga. Although if we meet him again in book 3, he is still a short encounter, yet a vital one. However he is one of the main hero of the prequel trilogy to the Saga of the Beast.
- What can I say about that character? That you will never be able to quite grasp The Tutor even with your best intentions and most clever brain cells fully switched on. Elusive yet fully on, it is a whimsical idea of God, a pure allegory. I must confess that it is one of my hardest characters to write about. He is the Sum of all Souls. You may find him beguiling. You may find him intimidating for he is. However whenever he steps in, he brings immediate relief with his presence. However he is the one the Angels will seek out to resolve their issues and dilemmas. Daunting, mysterious, knowing more than he will reveal at any one time, talking almost with riddles and puzzles to work out, he is the hard core of entities.
- Wendy Workmaster is a character which is only mentioned here and there. Wendy is past, gone and dead yet remembered by many with a sore heart, especially her twin brother Walter and her fiancé Gabriel. How to describe Wendy? She was another little Walter, a pure Workmaster through and through. She could finish the sentence of her brother and he could finish hers. They would laugh and cry at the same time, at the very same things. Physically, she is a tomboy blond, the exact copy cat of her brother. Very pretty in understated ways, she grabbed the overwhelming attention of Archangel Gabriel.
- Cecile is the Au-pair girl of the Workmasters. We only encounter her briefly in the first book of the Saga. The French girl had been living with Caroline Workmaster and her son Michael to help out. The single Caroline is a busy doctor with irregular shifts which rendered an Au-pair girl invaluable. Cecile is reliable and her nice character is well liked by the entire family. She gets on well with everyone. Her responsibilities range from babysitting to picking up Micky from school, passing by helping him with his homework.
- Tango Charlie is a human character which only appear in the first book. CIA/security agent, code name Tango Charlie is one of the Service secret connections of Big Gab and his Uncle Raphael. However if Wrath uses the services of human secret agents with scarcity and sagacity, his nephew prefers using their services to soliciting the ones of the Angels of Raphael. On the part of Gabriel, you may call this pride, or an ongoing feud with Wrath which makes him reluctant to ever have to ask the elder Archangel for help.
- Mister ‘3’, ‘Santa Morte’, The Aryan, henchman Colt and Big Brother 4 are all humans at the service of Paul Peterson. They are all killers apart for Big Brother 4 who is the security watcher at ‘P’s’. They are all fearing the demonic politician. They will follow his orders to the letter to save literally their own skins and they will be ruthless about it.
- Well, here we arrive at a character which I kept in reserve for the last to be mentioned: Eremiel, the father of the Beast, aka, Evil. Fallen Archangel, the extremely handsome Eremiel is bad to an unsettling purity. He is the nasty piece of cake that the Angels have constantly faced for almost an eternity as their Arch-enemy. He ruled Hell for a long while, after being ‘fired’ by the Tutor and sent there, and after depositing Hades from his Hell throne, shortly afterwards. Eremiel is the evil character in It-666 Saga: we meet him in all the books written in one form or another. He is that undermining constant Being which wants none to have an ‘happy ever after’ apart from himself.
- You have just met the characters of the first book. You will meet more as the other books get published one after the other. I can tell you already that there is a crowd of characters in the universe of It-666. However you have just been introduced to the principal ones: It-666, Walter Workmaster, Azryel Mortimer, Raphael Wrath and Gabriel Purallee.