Finding It-666: the Beast
It-666, The Beast
We meet ‘It’ at the start of the saga, aged 16, in an appalling state. Kept in a cage, starved, tortured, left in her own mess, the teenager has only one wish, the one of dying. Representing all we fear, the incarnated Beast, is a young distressed Being. She had far from the most enjoyable start in life.
Found by Walter Workmaster, she is surprised to see his human reaction to her. She is met with his heartbroken sympathy and his desire to help her out. His friendly humanity touches her deep down. Despite seeing her mark, the atheist rejects the fact that she could possibly be the Beast and treats her like an individual in great need of help. Despite her confessing to him that she is a freak, he takes her on board of his family life like a Super Being of some sort and pushes others to treat her like so.
Literally adopted by the human, the teenage Beast discovers hope but also that she may be allowed to have a future. It is hard for herself to comprehend that she may live for her hurting heart is casting repetitively death for her own self. The suicidal creature that she is, her tortured soul who has difficulties in coming to terms that she is the feared Beast, absolutely doesn’t want to hurt anyone nor be used to destroy humanity. She would rather pass away than letting that happen. Knowing that she is a living bundle of extreme powers which she doesn’t know how to control fully, she lives in fear of causing the worst. She contemplates her suicide as the kindest thing she could do to others.
However, saved by Workmaster, he drives her straight, unknowingly to her incarnated counterparts, Angels and Archangels, which have been walking the earth for an eternity, mixing with and protecting humans in a well kept secret. The first she meets Archangel Gabriel assesses her. Taken aback by her gentle character and pacific nature, he takes her under his wings, knowing that if others find out about her existence, she will either be slaughtered or used and abused to do evil. Despite his own best effort to keep the Beast only known, hidden and protected by him and Workmaster, the news inevitably reaches the leader of the incarnated Angels, his fearsome Uncle, Archangel Raphael.
From her encounter with Gabriel, It cannot help a strong bond forming between them which develops into the deepest love. The Beast simply falls for the Archangel irresistibly. Thought at first to be just a teenage crush, all watch helplessly the union establishing itself between the two Beings.
With her case being overwhelmingly pleaded by Walter Workmaster, but also because of her strong good self sacrificing heart, she wins over Raphael and his Angels. The Archangel gives her a chance and takes her in the midst of his Angelic Army as a soldier.
From a lost Being with no confidence about herself and others, she grows to accept herself but also learns that her powers can be used to do good. From training, participating in Angelic missions, and fighting with the Army against demons, she acquires a particular place among Beings.
She is allowed to live and grow in the safe knowledge that the day she turns evil, the Angels surrounding her, will give her the death she wants to protect humanity.
The Beast is a complex character, not only evolving, but growing in a lot of respect. Young, sweet sixteen, she has a lot to learn as a supernatural Being, as a teenager who was deprived of a proper childhood, who spent part of it feral in the Black Forest where a priest and a nun hid her after abducting her at birth, and the rest of it in a cage, regularly tortured, and as a powerful creature who finally meet some acceptance from others. She also grows on the other characters irresistibly. She doesn’t have to play the charm incentive to do so: she is just her natural self.
She is the antithesis of what or who she is supposed to be. Self-sacrificing soldier, she meets respect and admiration, the more she engages in missions, fights and battles. Throughout, there is the fear, the danger that she could be too good to be true, and that all are learning to trust pure evil in a sheep skin’s disguise. Is it a clever move to teach Angelic warfare to your possible enemy? Some could argue with a ‘keep your friends close and your enemy closer.’ Aren’t Her Angelic Watchers learning how the little Beast fights by training her? The question of trust is one of the main theme within the saga, investigated in many of its different aspect.
A dangerously restrained character, It has the potential to bring complete chaos yet she doesn’t do so when we encounter her. All (characters and readers alike) meet a rather sweet Being, brave, steadfast in her will to cause no hurt to others. As the Beast, however, a considerable amount of positively negative experiences are thrown at her, time and time again. How strong can a character be to not switch and explode once and for all?
The first instalment of her saga is all about her discovered self-destroying tender Being, adopted by a kind and open minded human, taken under the wings of a rather aloof yet inquisitive Archangel Gabriel but also her taking the potentially dangerous offer of being raised by the Angels in their Army.
I fear I have said too much and not enough about ‘It’. Let’s correct that a tad.
In the balance, on the too much side:
‘It-666’ has to be one of the most heavyweight characters, I ever created. When characters present themselves to my mind gradually or not, they rather feel like imaginary friends. I dwell upon them, see them acting and from a virtual director’s chair, ask them to repeat something once more with more passion. Disturbingly, I felt in It’s shoes. Now, she had dirty branded bare foot that she could not move from the layer of her own piss and shit she was sitting upon, cramped, dislocated in parts, bruised, with too many broken bones to be spoken of. From my nightmares, It felt deep down physically, like if I was within her, living her hardships. Writing her story helped me step away from ‘It’ all, like if I was removing her skin from my shoulders, breathing awake as normal. It was like releasing a white feathered dove from her cage and letting her fly to freedom: a relief.
On the not enough side:
Experiencing a character that way was a novelty as a creative mind: disturbing, definitely yes, enlightening just as much. However faced with the choice to carry a novel with the vision from the deep end, or else, I selected else: Else, the other characters that encounter the Beast and what they make of It. Let’s emphasise: What they are making of It, the teenage Being they decided to bring up together.
How will it turn out is the big question. I will let you read it in due course.
How would the Beast (well my It) look like on an identity card or passport:
Country of origin: UK.
Born in London the 06/06/1996 at 6:16 am.
First Name: It.
Given Names: Bambi, Blondie.
Nationality: Being of some kind. Gender: F Height: when humanly incarnated: 1,53m. In Beast’s shape: undisclosed.
Residence: The tree house of Doctor Gabriel Purallee. (Archangel Gabriel)
Colour of eyes: Aquamarine.
Under the Guardianship of: her three Angelic Masters and Watchers: Archangel Raphael, incarnated as Raphael Wrath; The Death Angel, incarnated as Azryel Mortimer; Archangel Gabriel, incarnated as Dr Gabriel Purallee.
Birth Father: Fallen Archangel Eremiel.
Birth Mother: Demonic Goddess Lilith.
Adoptive Father: Walter Workmaster.
Adoptive Mother: Caroline Workmaster, born Purallee.
The born Beast is a sensitive Being with feelings bursting at her every pore. She was not offered proper sympathy nor love of a filial kind until she meets the wonder of a human that is Walter Workmaster…
It-666 in quotes (from Book 1) and passages:
It-666 smiled and softly told, -I have no avenging thirst, Gabriel. Making sure they didn’t know that I had dangerous powers, implied either laying low or using them to destroy all who thought I had, and a carnage doing so. I prefer being destroyed than using my powers or being used and abused to do evil. Here I am all broken up for it, to preserve humanity from all I can do. And my vow not to harm anyone stands proud and tall, renewed for having seen only one man, Walter, opening his arms to me, with genuine kindness, taking me away from my hell spot upon Earth. I can swallow any pain given, as for kindness I want to give it back tenfold. I read that Walter was not a happy man, he is hurting. I want to help him if I can. Repay him for the hope he gave me.’
(verse 9: Of rats and men.)
Gabriel who broke the news of the abduction to a distraught Caroline and Workmaster, turned at the mention of his name. He walked forward to the group of Angels surrounding the young Beast, and knelt before Azryel Mortimer bowing his head down, -I accept. Help us forward. Help us retrieve young Michael. My failures are calling for guidance to correct my path. Only your intransigence Azryel can drive back a soldier to his best.
It-666 gave her solemn reply to Raphael and his Death Angel,
-My Master has spoken. I bow to you both, Azryel servant of Archangel Raphael. What is the plan to get back Archangel Michael? What can I do to help?
Raphael replied with glowing eyes,
-Just fight with Us Bambi, just fight.’
(verse 27: Greet & Meet/Great & Meat.)
Great light poured into the room, as Azryel and It-666 materialised within it. Raphael glanced at them worryingly yet before he could say one word, he saw the young teenage Beast walk to the bedside of Micky. She enclosed both of his wrists between her hands and whispered a reversed incantation. Before their eyes the child’s deep cuts sealed themselves closed. She kissed his forehead gently, saying, -You will sleep now and forget about it all, Micky, for it was all a bad, very bad dream. You are safe. It is all over like mummy said.
The child blinked a little then fell asleep, safe, sound, and healed up. Raphael picked up his little hand and checked his wrist thoroughly, assessing the child’s bodily functions doing so, he confirmed to Caroline,
-Micky is going to be more than fine. He will not remember what he lived and saw. Nothing happened but school today for him, now. He does not need any intervention from any healing Angels regarding his blood loss either, for right now it is fully re-established. Caro, your child has just been healed thoroughly by It.
Caroline fell inside her uncle’s arms and cried,
-Thank you, thank you all for bringing him back, for tending to him, for healing him, thank you so much. I am indebted to you.
Azryel came to check the child as Raphael did, but more thoroughly so. He nodded his confirmation to Raphael and Caroline. Micky was healed, safe and sound.
As he glanced back at It-666, she was far from alright. He could see both her wrists bleeding slowly. She had swallowed the pain and the ordeal of the child and took it upon her. ‘Swallowing Pain’ was one attribute of the Beast but a dangerous one. The digestion of pain was a process very much unknown to many Angels and the ultimate result could mean worse than what was absorbed. Death looked worryingly at Raphael and told,
-I have one soldier to tend to, I am afraid.’
(verse 30: Re-Cove-Ry.)
The Compendium of Characters
- Book Dedication
- This comprehensive nomenclature will be ordered by the chronology of the published books and within it by the alphabetical order of the characters. Following the ‘Who’s Who’ of characters, you will find a ‘What’s what’ section, a list of created or combined words with their meanings. There are a fair few occasions where I applied this poetic license to fit closely to the heartbeat of the story or a particular individual within it. The last sections are the peep-holes to the future publications relating to those stories, spin-offs, prequels or next instalments to look forward to. It will offer the tangible glimpse of what is coming next or what happened before.
- Published the 21st of October 2014, this short story was born like many of my stories within the midst of a nightmare. I remember still vividly hearing some chilling noises, some eerie music, sad laughter, stuck in the darkness of a long box. I pushed the door open to realise that I was in my coffin. A cowardly glance outside revealed a hilly cemetery, a moonlight night and other corpses rising from their graves, some dragging others to do so. I was freaked enough at the sight to lay back in the safe darkness, thinking that it must be a bad dream and that it will all pass. But someone saw me, someone recognised me, called my name out loud and opened my coffin lid wide open. In front of that half decomposed cadaver, my heart seemed to fail to beat any longer. I closed my eyes of fright and I woke up in my bed safe and well. I was not exposed in a coffin, exhibited to other dead people, I was in my bedroom with for only witness, my black cat Mystic blinking her yellow eyes at me peacefully from the other pillow.
- It-666’s story can not be told in one sentence not even in one book. It has a fateful spin to it which will last for as long as it is meant to last. It is determined.
- The ex-wife of Walter Workmaster is the human and younger sister of the incarnated Gabriel Purallee and the mother of the incarnated Michael. In Angelic terms, she is a very special person chosen to carry one or more Angels back to their incarnated form. Did she knew about it? She had no clue at all. She had no conception that her son, brother and uncle are Archangels until she stumbles upon an Angelic meeting led by Raphael at his AA club in the middle of the night.
- We meet ‘It’ at the start of the saga, aged 16, in an appalling state. Kept in a cage, starved, tortured, left in her own mess, the teenager has only one wish, the one of dying. Representing all we fear, the incarnated Beast, is a young distressed Being. She had far from the most enjoyable start in life.
- Gabriel plays a very important character in the saga. We meet him in the first book as incarnated Doctor Gabriel Purallee. Strangely enough that ambivalent Angel is the one that all turns to for some sort of stability. His clinic and his house serve as a refuge, the safe haven where one can hide to stay alive.
- We meet Michael, age eight, called Micky by all. This important Archangel has only recently incarnated once more and his human childhood makes him be temporally at a vulnerable stage. However he was given parents of choice in Walter and Caroline. Both are nurturing and loving him to bits. Like the Beast, this character is at an early stage at the start of the saga. Unlike her, he was provided with a loving childhood, which makes him a very happy, bouncy kid Being. He has bags of tenderness for everyone which he wears on his sleeve. From his currant human parents, he gathers that loving understanding and open minded acceptance. Faced with a brand new member of the family, called the Beast, and not being an only child anymore, he just takes her hand and shows her what it is to enjoy a bit of childhood. His heart adopts It-666 almost like his father, without question.
- Wrath is a character which tells you how it is in his standards and will force you to them by any mean, without almost any regards for who you are. Raphael has a physical presence that can make you quiver and he knows it. He plays with it shamelessly like a cat on a mouse chase. He can make it as sweet or cruel for you depending on his plans, schemes and temper. Wrath is renown to have a very short temper, trying him is definitely a bad idea. He comes with strings attached. He is full of them. Worse, he is the leader of them: anyone he pulls can spell your doom or your blessing momentarily. Raphael as a puppet master could be all good if his mind would not switch in a nanosecond to an entire other direction. Raphael is frighteningly so impulsive yet it is also his main skill, quick thinking, acting fast, he kills anything in the bud before it can fester away.
- If Wrath was daunting enough, his henchman is even more unsettling. What can I say to bring justice to Azryel’s character? I absolutely adore writing him. Azryel Mortimer is a character which grew a life from my pages and into my own heart. If there was a fan T shirt, black with a big red heart in the middle saying: ‘I love Az’, I would wear it proudly with no shame at all. It is odd for an author to say that they are the first ‘groupie’ of their created characters but I can only admit that I am for this one.
- From all of Raphael’s Angels, Asha is one with a very kind heart and the patience of a true Angel. He will take the time to explain things to the lay human without being ordered to do so. He will offer his shoulders without being asked. Known as the ‘Philosopher’, he has a calm, poised and understanding attitude about him.
- We meet the character of Liz Arczy briefly in the first book. She then develops slowly but surely throughout the saga to a certain potency and consequence. Receptionist at the clinic of Gabriel, the red head human picked the interest by her quirky personality.
- What can I say about that character? That you will never be able to quite grasp The Tutor even with your best intentions and most clever brain cells fully switched on. Elusive yet fully on, it is a whimsical idea of God, a pure allegory.
- Nun Tess was the tough catholic sister who abducted the Beast at her birth on the 6th of June 1996 with Father Williamson. She is the one that took charge of her care up until It-666 was five years old. On the fifth birthday of the Beast, she was killed ruthlessly before her by men paid to abduct the child.
- Father Williamson is one instrumental character which changed fate by a simple trick up his sleeve: a curse. To be honest I do not let any readers know much about him at any stage in the saga. Although if we meet him again in book 3, he is still a short encounter, yet a vital one. However he is one of the main hero of the prequel trilogy to the Saga of the Beast.
- What can I say about that character? That you will never be able to quite grasp The Tutor even with your best intentions and most clever brain cells fully switched on. Elusive yet fully on, it is a whimsical idea of God, a pure allegory. I must confess that it is one of my hardest characters to write about. He is the Sum of all Souls. You may find him beguiling. You may find him intimidating for he is. However whenever he steps in, he brings immediate relief with his presence. However he is the one the Angels will seek out to resolve their issues and dilemmas. Daunting, mysterious, knowing more than he will reveal at any one time, talking almost with riddles and puzzles to work out, he is the hard core of entities.
- Wendy Workmaster is a character which is only mentioned here and there. Wendy is past, gone and dead yet remembered by many with a sore heart, especially her twin brother Walter and her fiancé Gabriel. How to describe Wendy? She was another little Walter, a pure Workmaster through and through. She could finish the sentence of her brother and he could finish hers. They would laugh and cry at the same time, at the very same things. Physically, she is a tomboy blond, the exact copy cat of her brother. Very pretty in understated ways, she grabbed the overwhelming attention of Archangel Gabriel.
- Cecile is the Au-pair girl of the Workmasters. We only encounter her briefly in the first book of the Saga. The French girl had been living with Caroline Workmaster and her son Michael to help out. The single Caroline is a busy doctor with irregular shifts which rendered an Au-pair girl invaluable. Cecile is reliable and her nice character is well liked by the entire family. She gets on well with everyone. Her responsibilities range from babysitting to picking up Micky from school, passing by helping him with his homework.
- Tango Charlie is a human character which only appear in the first book. CIA/security agent, code name Tango Charlie is one of the Service secret connections of Big Gab and his Uncle Raphael. However if Wrath uses the services of human secret agents with scarcity and sagacity, his nephew prefers using their services to soliciting the ones of the Angels of Raphael. On the part of Gabriel, you may call this pride, or an ongoing feud with Wrath which makes him reluctant to ever have to ask the elder Archangel for help.
- Mister ‘3’, ‘Santa Morte’, The Aryan, henchman Colt and Big Brother 4 are all humans at the service of Paul Peterson. They are all killers apart for Big Brother 4 who is the security watcher at ‘P’s’. They are all fearing the demonic politician. They will follow his orders to the letter to save literally their own skins and they will be ruthless about it.
- Well, here we arrive at a character which I kept in reserve for the last to be mentioned: Eremiel, the father of the Beast, aka, Evil. Fallen Archangel, the extremely handsome Eremiel is bad to an unsettling purity. He is the nasty piece of cake that the Angels have constantly faced for almost an eternity as their Arch-enemy. He ruled Hell for a long while, after being ‘fired’ by the Tutor and sent there, and after depositing Hades from his Hell throne, shortly afterwards. Eremiel is the evil character in It-666 Saga: we meet him in all the books written in one form or another. He is that undermining constant Being which wants none to have an ‘happy ever after’ apart from himself.
- You have just met the characters of the first book. You will meet more as the other books get published one after the other. I can tell you already that there is a crowd of characters in the universe of It-666. However you have just been introduced to the principal ones: It-666, Walter Workmaster, Azryel Mortimer, Raphael Wrath and Gabriel Purallee.