Finding It-666: the Beast
What can I say about that character?
That you will never be able to quite grasp The Tutor even with your best intentions and most clever brain cells fully switched on. Elusive yet fully on, it is a whimsical idea of God, a pure allegory.
I must confess that it is one of my hardest characters to write about. He is the Sum of all Souls. You may find him beguiling. You may find him intimidating for he is. However whenever he steps in, he brings immediate relief with his presence. However he is the one the Angels will seek out to resolve their issues and dilemmas. Daunting, mysterious, knowing more than he will reveal at any one time, talking almost with riddles and puzzles to work out, he is the hard core of entities.
Our young Beast ran into him age five, straight after she killed her first humans, the murderers of the nun Tess who was looking after her. He calmed her little Being right down, soothed her distraught soul until she slept at his feet. He is the one, the Being, that kept her in the Black Forest after the two humans who hid the Beast there to protect humanity, passed away. He preserved their good work alive and well with his instructions. She was free to run wild as long as she remained in the forest.
The three years the Beast lived feral in that forest remains an entire mystery, however we know that she calls the Sum of all Souls, her Tutor, that she has great respect for him, that she will kneel by him without being forced to or asked, it is almost an impulse to do so for her. We also know that he appeared to her feral self regularly, kept an eye upon her, but more importantly educated her in a Being sort of way.
Between five and eight, the Beast was not solely a lone soul in the depth of the Black Forest. She had that important visitor meeting her footsteps teaching her as if she was a young Angel. He impressed upon her mind greatly. Despite not knowing about his tuition, we are aware that it was special enough for It-666 to never kill any human even when she was put under tremendous torture between age 8 and 16. The Beast was steadfastly strong and good, unwilling to use her lethal powers and hiding them from human eyes despite being hurt physically to make her show them. She rather prefers her own death. Age 16, we find her, like Walter in that appalling state, having braved all kind of tortures, with for only hope in her mind to be dead and buried to present no threat to humanity.
What can I say about the Tutor? He was an important part of the childhood of It-666. He was the first Being, she ever met, one who taught her how to control herself and her powers. Not totally for the little Beast failed to complete her instruction… Despite being told by him to stay away from humans and to stay safely in the forest like all beasts should, her lonely eight year old self ran to meet school children to befriend them on their school trip in her forest. Herald as a feral child by their teacher, mocked for her strange voice by the children, It-666 was taken out of her cherished Black Forest, her home of eight years to be put in a psychiatric hospital under observation. Abducted from there, flown to the US, she ended in a cage for a bedroom under a pentagram made of human blood in Paul Peterson’s Bunker for eight long years of endless torture.
When the Angels discover It-666 at the start of the saga, the Tutor is already aware of her existence, not only that far from destroying her, he educated the youngster. Food for thought for all Angels, especially for Wrath for the Tutor is his ‘Master’, the one he answers to. However he was not made aware by him about the existence of the Beast whatsoever nor was he told about her loss from the Black Forest. He was not asked to recover her at all cost. He did not know that the daughter of Eremiel even walked upon earth at that time. The discovery of her Being comes into the light when she is sweet sixteen when Walter Workmaster pulls her out of her cage.
This begs the question what did the Tutor achieve by keeping It totally secret even from his Angels? Was it a ‘watching how the little Beast would react’ scheme to know if she could be trusted? We will never know. However what we are aware of is his interest about her. He is a character with an agenda of his own, which he will never disclose to others. His orders are transmitted to Wrath, who spreads them to all Angels, but also to something called ‘the Powers’. The Tutor deals with a lot but the way he does it, remains unseen. However, the way Wrath intervenes for him, has such impact that all feel his force in the background.
We meet the character throughout the saga many times, mainly in times of needs for all other characters, emphasising his parallel to a god like figure. They seek his help at the last resort. It is always not a given, it is always hard to get. They really have to plead the creed of their own paths to him.
Let’s meet him in quotes and passages:
Before the Death Angel could say a word in reply, a voice sang a very sad, powerful and peaceful lullaby. Azryel scrutinised his surrounding, yet could see nothing. It-666 was up on her feet at once, joy passing through her green eyes, where resignation reigned before. She took the hand of Death, inviting him to follow her, -He is here! Come, meet my Tutor. Come, I know where he is, very close by, where he taught me many things…
Azryel ran with her intrigued to finally be able to discover the face of the Angel who took on the young Beast. They reached a small clearing with a great oak tree almost in its centre, and below it stood a Being glowing powerfully. The young It left his hand to run towards him. The Death Angel considered the whole scene. When the teenager reached the Angel, she knelt by him, putting even her head upon the floor, she obviously had a relationship with him that could not be described by simple words. He truly believed at that moment, that It-666, the Beast, the due Antichrist was worshipping her ‘former’ Tutor. But who was he? The question was crucial as if he was worshipped by It, it also meant his influence upon her could be great. This could pose problems to Raphael, Gabriel and him in the guardianship of the young Antichrist.
The first words of the Being teased gently It-666, as he stroked her cheeks in the most gentle and kind manner,
-Here, here, brave girl, you are doing well. I never thought my instructions would impress you so much, my little Beast in the woods.
Az could not help but be impressed by the awe which clinched him deep down by the sides of that Being. He was no Angel, for that he was sure of, he was something else, something else but what? Who? Death stood full of suspicion and asked It,
-Bambi, too much effusion. Stand up, by me and do the presentation.
She smiled at him in a childlike manner,
-Azryel Mortimer, Angel of Death, meet my Tutor.
He grinned a little annoyed replying with slight impatience,
-And your tutor has a name, I suppose?
The Being gazed upon Azryel attentively as he replied instead of It calmly and firmly,
-It, chose ‘It’ to be her name for the time being, until she finds her own one, not a satirical one given by others. As for Ours We have many.
(verse 31: The Tutor)
The Tutor put his hand upon Death’s arm recalling him, -Lets move on to another chapter of It’s childhood. The child saw you somehow. You don’t want to be exorcised, do you bad spirit?
Azryel smiled sarcastically, as he answered,
-How would you know if I was a bad spirit? Anyhow I can not be erased for I do the erasing in every Worlds.
The Being smacked his hands together bringing the three of them to a new scenery after mentioning,
-A self satisfied spirit can be a plague and also a plague to deal with. Ask Raphael, he will tell you the same for he knows
(verse 31: The Tutor)
Azryel, the Death Angel was by now annoyed with the Tutor for he seemed to know far more than him. Transported to another moment in time in the childhood of It-666, three years forward, he wondered if he would be able to gather the identity of their guide. Death enquired, -You seemed to know me very well yet I did not have the privilege of your acquaintance. Do you personally know Archangel Raphael?
The Tutor beaming blinding light throughout his entire entity replied nonchalantly, ignoring the fact of how disturbing he was at that moment,
-We made a point to know all. There is no bright sides nor dark ones that are escaping Us. We know you Azryel Mortimer very intimately and so do We know General Raphael.
The Angel shook his head in an helpless fashion before raising it with a sarcastic smile,
-Many Names, either you are the most pedantic Being in the whole World, either you are the sum of all spirits to adopt the universal we speaking of yourself. Which is it?
Winking at the Death Angel, the Tutor replied pointing at the three year old It-666 running happily in the forest,
-Take a wild guess. You are getting closer.
(verse 32: Soulful Singing lark.)
Death felt the teenage It-666 holding his hand as the infamous scene of her past appeared. He could feel her hand trembling within his. She confided to him, -Azryel, I don’t know if I am ready to see this part. I might get upset all over again and react. I may need to be contained.
The Tutor turned to her, his voice soothing and strong reassuring her at once,
-My little lost beast We taught you how to contain your own self, your wrath and desire of retaliation. We know you can do it for you are Our brave one. Be confident as you have shown great restraint which honours your every action ever since that event. You can rely upon your own self forever, remember that as a fact. You can win your own inner battle yourself. Never forget that. Never. You are stronger that the rest of Us. You cannot give your own responsibilities to anyone great or small for it will wreck them all. Remember your own internal turmoil, its your own to deal with, it has been given to the most powerful Being ever for good reasons. It cannot be shared. It can be dealt with, by you and you only. We are counting on you to do so. We will walk by you all the way to help you support your ordeal. You can count on Us to not let you fail. What you are about to see, you have grown out of it. You have become the courageous individual We always knew you would be. Against all odds, you made it to the AA Army as their newest recruit. And for all you are, It, they need you more than you will ever know in the future that is unfolding as We speak.
The Death Angel felt the hand of It-666 becoming strong and firm. Her trembling disappeared during the arousing speech, he had noticed. Somehow he wished he had told her all those exact words at that moment in time. Somehow he wished that someone could care enough of his own self to come up with spurring words like those to carry on his own eternal task or the courage to give it up. He looked bereft upon the Tutor who was beaming bright like a beacon within the Black Forest. By now Azryel knew who was ‘Many Names’, the Tutor of the Beast and he could hardly believe it. Was The Most Superior Being of All truly there for all creatures?
(verse 33: Tess’s Death.)
The Compendium of Characters
- Book Dedication
- This comprehensive nomenclature will be ordered by the chronology of the published books and within it by the alphabetical order of the characters. Following the ‘Who’s Who’ of characters, you will find a ‘What’s what’ section, a list of created or combined words with their meanings. There are a fair few occasions where I applied this poetic license to fit closely to the heartbeat of the story or a particular individual within it. The last sections are the peep-holes to the future publications relating to those stories, spin-offs, prequels or next instalments to look forward to. It will offer the tangible glimpse of what is coming next or what happened before.
- Published the 21st of October 2014, this short story was born like many of my stories within the midst of a nightmare. I remember still vividly hearing some chilling noises, some eerie music, sad laughter, stuck in the darkness of a long box. I pushed the door open to realise that I was in my coffin. A cowardly glance outside revealed a hilly cemetery, a moonlight night and other corpses rising from their graves, some dragging others to do so. I was freaked enough at the sight to lay back in the safe darkness, thinking that it must be a bad dream and that it will all pass. But someone saw me, someone recognised me, called my name out loud and opened my coffin lid wide open. In front of that half decomposed cadaver, my heart seemed to fail to beat any longer. I closed my eyes of fright and I woke up in my bed safe and well. I was not exposed in a coffin, exhibited to other dead people, I was in my bedroom with for only witness, my black cat Mystic blinking her yellow eyes at me peacefully from the other pillow.
- It-666’s story can not be told in one sentence not even in one book. It has a fateful spin to it which will last for as long as it is meant to last. It is determined.
- The ex-wife of Walter Workmaster is the human and younger sister of the incarnated Gabriel Purallee and the mother of the incarnated Michael. In Angelic terms, she is a very special person chosen to carry one or more Angels back to their incarnated form. Did she knew about it? She had no clue at all. She had no conception that her son, brother and uncle are Archangels until she stumbles upon an Angelic meeting led by Raphael at his AA club in the middle of the night.
- We meet ‘It’ at the start of the saga, aged 16, in an appalling state. Kept in a cage, starved, tortured, left in her own mess, the teenager has only one wish, the one of dying. Representing all we fear, the incarnated Beast, is a young distressed Being. She had far from the most enjoyable start in life.
- Gabriel plays a very important character in the saga. We meet him in the first book as incarnated Doctor Gabriel Purallee. Strangely enough that ambivalent Angel is the one that all turns to for some sort of stability. His clinic and his house serve as a refuge, the safe haven where one can hide to stay alive.
- We meet Michael, age eight, called Micky by all. This important Archangel has only recently incarnated once more and his human childhood makes him be temporally at a vulnerable stage. However he was given parents of choice in Walter and Caroline. Both are nurturing and loving him to bits. Like the Beast, this character is at an early stage at the start of the saga. Unlike her, he was provided with a loving childhood, which makes him a very happy, bouncy kid Being. He has bags of tenderness for everyone which he wears on his sleeve. From his currant human parents, he gathers that loving understanding and open minded acceptance. Faced with a brand new member of the family, called the Beast, and not being an only child anymore, he just takes her hand and shows her what it is to enjoy a bit of childhood. His heart adopts It-666 almost like his father, without question.
- Wrath is a character which tells you how it is in his standards and will force you to them by any mean, without almost any regards for who you are. Raphael has a physical presence that can make you quiver and he knows it. He plays with it shamelessly like a cat on a mouse chase. He can make it as sweet or cruel for you depending on his plans, schemes and temper. Wrath is renown to have a very short temper, trying him is definitely a bad idea. He comes with strings attached. He is full of them. Worse, he is the leader of them: anyone he pulls can spell your doom or your blessing momentarily. Raphael as a puppet master could be all good if his mind would not switch in a nanosecond to an entire other direction. Raphael is frighteningly so impulsive yet it is also his main skill, quick thinking, acting fast, he kills anything in the bud before it can fester away.
- If Wrath was daunting enough, his henchman is even more unsettling. What can I say to bring justice to Azryel’s character? I absolutely adore writing him. Azryel Mortimer is a character which grew a life from my pages and into my own heart. If there was a fan T shirt, black with a big red heart in the middle saying: ‘I love Az’, I would wear it proudly with no shame at all. It is odd for an author to say that they are the first ‘groupie’ of their created characters but I can only admit that I am for this one.
- From all of Raphael’s Angels, Asha is one with a very kind heart and the patience of a true Angel. He will take the time to explain things to the lay human without being ordered to do so. He will offer his shoulders without being asked. Known as the ‘Philosopher’, he has a calm, poised and understanding attitude about him.
- We meet the character of Liz Arczy briefly in the first book. She then develops slowly but surely throughout the saga to a certain potency and consequence. Receptionist at the clinic of Gabriel, the red head human picked the interest by her quirky personality.
- What can I say about that character? That you will never be able to quite grasp The Tutor even with your best intentions and most clever brain cells fully switched on. Elusive yet fully on, it is a whimsical idea of God, a pure allegory.
- Nun Tess was the tough catholic sister who abducted the Beast at her birth on the 6th of June 1996 with Father Williamson. She is the one that took charge of her care up until It-666 was five years old. On the fifth birthday of the Beast, she was killed ruthlessly before her by men paid to abduct the child.
- Father Williamson is one instrumental character which changed fate by a simple trick up his sleeve: a curse. To be honest I do not let any readers know much about him at any stage in the saga. Although if we meet him again in book 3, he is still a short encounter, yet a vital one. However he is one of the main hero of the prequel trilogy to the Saga of the Beast.
- What can I say about that character? That you will never be able to quite grasp The Tutor even with your best intentions and most clever brain cells fully switched on. Elusive yet fully on, it is a whimsical idea of God, a pure allegory. I must confess that it is one of my hardest characters to write about. He is the Sum of all Souls. You may find him beguiling. You may find him intimidating for he is. However whenever he steps in, he brings immediate relief with his presence. However he is the one the Angels will seek out to resolve their issues and dilemmas. Daunting, mysterious, knowing more than he will reveal at any one time, talking almost with riddles and puzzles to work out, he is the hard core of entities.
- Wendy Workmaster is a character which is only mentioned here and there. Wendy is past, gone and dead yet remembered by many with a sore heart, especially her twin brother Walter and her fiancé Gabriel. How to describe Wendy? She was another little Walter, a pure Workmaster through and through. She could finish the sentence of her brother and he could finish hers. They would laugh and cry at the same time, at the very same things. Physically, she is a tomboy blond, the exact copy cat of her brother. Very pretty in understated ways, she grabbed the overwhelming attention of Archangel Gabriel.
- Cecile is the Au-pair girl of the Workmasters. We only encounter her briefly in the first book of the Saga. The French girl had been living with Caroline Workmaster and her son Michael to help out. The single Caroline is a busy doctor with irregular shifts which rendered an Au-pair girl invaluable. Cecile is reliable and her nice character is well liked by the entire family. She gets on well with everyone. Her responsibilities range from babysitting to picking up Micky from school, passing by helping him with his homework.
- Tango Charlie is a human character which only appear in the first book. CIA/security agent, code name Tango Charlie is one of the Service secret connections of Big Gab and his Uncle Raphael. However if Wrath uses the services of human secret agents with scarcity and sagacity, his nephew prefers using their services to soliciting the ones of the Angels of Raphael. On the part of Gabriel, you may call this pride, or an ongoing feud with Wrath which makes him reluctant to ever have to ask the elder Archangel for help.
- Mister ‘3’, ‘Santa Morte’, The Aryan, henchman Colt and Big Brother 4 are all humans at the service of Paul Peterson. They are all killers apart for Big Brother 4 who is the security watcher at ‘P’s’. They are all fearing the demonic politician. They will follow his orders to the letter to save literally their own skins and they will be ruthless about it.
- Well, here we arrive at a character which I kept in reserve for the last to be mentioned: Eremiel, the father of the Beast, aka, Evil. Fallen Archangel, the extremely handsome Eremiel is bad to an unsettling purity. He is the nasty piece of cake that the Angels have constantly faced for almost an eternity as their Arch-enemy. He ruled Hell for a long while, after being ‘fired’ by the Tutor and sent there, and after depositing Hades from his Hell throne, shortly afterwards. Eremiel is the evil character in It-666 Saga: we meet him in all the books written in one form or another. He is that undermining constant Being which wants none to have an ‘happy ever after’ apart from himself.
- You have just met the characters of the first book. You will meet more as the other books get published one after the other. I can tell you already that there is a crowd of characters in the universe of It-666. However you have just been introduced to the principal ones: It-666, Walter Workmaster, Azryel Mortimer, Raphael Wrath and Gabriel Purallee.